Friday, February 11, 2011

Ancient Nickname Resurrected: WIN

Totall random post. I'm just bored and too brain fried to do any more work on my portfolio atm.

So this one time? at band summer camp? there were half a dozen of us: Katherine, Katie, Kathy, Kat, Kathleen, and me, Catherine. The Katherine went by Katherine and I went by Catherine. The tribe of us were already so prone to mix-ups that they tried to get one of us to go by something else. They asked her, how 'bout 'Kay'? Vast swivels of dramatic head-shaking ensued. They asked us, how 'bout your last names? I roared 'Never. Ever. Ever.' I had the name of the adoptive couple I stayed with, and hated it. It began with C and I pointed this out. One of the kids said: "C.C.!" My eyes went wide - I loved that! I was so surprised, really, and felt that weird sense of honor to be nicknamed. But it didn't stick very well, because I then sang, "C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me. Hey!", and:

Everyone started calling me Cookie.

This is a chocolate chip cookie from Levain Bakery in Manhattan; photo credit: My Baking Addiction

I just loved it. I was tickled anytime anyone used it, especially if I was introduced that way. 'C.C.' held here and there, but 'Cookie' won the big prize. In typical 10 year-old style, I started writing it on everything.

Alas, my beloved CYO camp (Don Bosco that year) session came to an end, and I was Cookie no more. Ever since, I've referred to myself that way in my head, maybe not as often as 'Cath' or 'Hey' or 'Dumbass', but it's never really left. I think I've held this secret hope that somebody else would (cosmically?) think it up for me again. Well, no such luck yet, so you know what? I'm resurrecting it myself, damnit. It ain't the same exactly, but whatever. It's cute & I love it and it's mine.

COOOOKIIIEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment