Saturday, January 22, 2011

An Eye On Quora

I'm not using Quora much yet, just watching (like most people do with @twitter).
http://www.hung-truong.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/quora-logo-500x216.jpg

My grasp of what it is and how it's evolving is getting firmer. My perception of its culture is resolving ever more sharply. I like it & feel it has potential. I believe that if it was not too broadly conceived, it may be too broadly presented. Although Quora has tags, I think it might work more smoothly if questions could be categorized (upon submission) on a more basic level (Yes/No? Philisophical? etc.). Here's an example illustrating why I think this would be helpful:
Gabriella is incredulous at what she feels is an abominably low rate of pay for copy writing services, which prompted to her to ask,
"Would you do anything if the price was right?"
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiQy1jF8Pp9I30CgOl8MsBYyjaBsTuZ7a35OnoO9AVDE8D3m6svMg3CQSI5wsxhyjjgI49Pq4ZVtlXiR3ur_0leyIABcTegEKM-qYYtdL8OLfRgJd_MylgRdi39jnAVm35evvGDvk7IMa0/s1600/sellout-1.jpg

Huh? I finally understood her to be getting at something like 'If you were say, hurting badly enough, would you accept an atrocious rate of pay just because it was better than nothing?' But since she was specific in her subtext about that rate & the type of work, I offered a reply which extracted the predicate from her query and addressed that:

http://b.qr.ae/Rhetoric2Logic

Here is an example of random cool shyte to be found at @quora:

http://b.qr.ae/QuoraAnimalBand

Notice the great question, simple and straightforward in concept and language.  Notice the smart, jaunty 'To the Cloud!' pop culture reference in Erik Frey's reply. That answer, upvoted (as of this moment) nearly 500 times, is not only interesting, fun and maybe surprising, but it demonstrates its data (proof! See 'the cloud' atop the list of animals). I like the charming gameness implicit in both the asking and the answering of such a question in a more or less formal environment.  The whole thing makes for a good solid example of what Quora is becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment