Monday, April 30, 2012

One Job Two Job, Red Job Blue Job

I threw copies of my resume around Seattle like confetti. I got offered a job last week and I took it. It was seasonal, ending on September 18, just in time for my trip to Mexico to see @tmcassani. It paid what I wanted, but I'd have to go through the whole rigamarole of getting fingerprinted, getting a TWIC card, renewing my Washington State Guard Licence & doing a drug test. No problem, but I'd be a lot happier not having to pay for all that. Some companies subsidize these things, some don't; this one doesn't. But hey, JOB. A very needed new job. I spent the next days wishing I felt more genuinely excited.

That bird in hand, I went down the list of other interview appointments, looked 'em over, and cancelled 'em all - except one, whose interview was today. So I went, and I got a couple of big fat surprises. :)

So this job wouldn't pay quiiiiite as much, but it didn't ask me to pay over $200 in licensing fees, either. It also featured a better location, an earlier start date (way earlier, it turns out), fewer physical demands, and a small staff of security (rather than one of literally hundreds working dockside).

I went to that interview today, and learned there was another major surprise advantage: I could return to work there for the rest of the year after my trip to Mexico. It's a tourist class hotel that sees a lot of action around the Seahawks games, turns out. They'd simply put me on 'inactive/on call' during my trip. I was beginning to think they liked me.

I had a feeling the interview went really well, and I started leaning very heavily toward taking this job if they offered it. They assured me I'd know soon. I love their definition of 'soon': On my way out, I got snagged in the valet throughway and brought back to their office and hired on the spot.

I start Friday.

:D

 

P.S. ALSO. Although the official start date for the first job was May 6th, in reality they make you wait until you have your TWIC card in hand to get on the clock. That wait is currently TWO WEEKS - it would be damn near June before I'd get to work. I just learned that. This other option was a real godsend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment