Tuesday, November 2, 2010

hello world

Howdy, I like to write. Actually, I hate it. And then I need it, getting painfully reminded that not writing is like holding my breath or ceasing to move. Then I'm weary, seeing a project as daunting as the end of the world. Then I do it and feel lovely and accomplished and gratified and enriched. Then I don't do it and I'm all empty, disappointed and pissed off. Ah, the wonders of the creative mind.

I have had one short story published, called Bike. I'm writing a novel that takes place in 1930's Manhattan. It is a tribute to an author whose work I treasure. It is taking me waaaaaaaaaaay, way too long. I'm writing a play, my first stab at comedy, and it's ultimately a wobbly love letter to my favorite human. I'm writing a memoir type thing. I'm focusing on the play right now.

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ScribnersMagazine-1903-11/100c-The-Sun-Typewriter-q75-333x500.jpg

I'm also scrapping the old and starting fresh with the whole blog thing. I have a laptop now, and I'm feelin' it, so here we go. Part II of the pilot episode coming up.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading this next blogging chapter in your writing portfolio. You know I'll be a fan and a helpful critic, as you have been with my writing.

    Your list of works you are writing sounds very cool. 1930's Manhattan... I love the older times. Very retro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marty. As always, I can count on you for support and cheering-on, and that means a ton to me & makes me happeh <3 See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the whole hating but needing to write thing. It is so hard sometimes but, exactly as you said, warm feelings.

    In fact I was pretty much a nodding dog through that whole paragraph!

    Congrats on restarting again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bec! Yup,a love/hate relationship with the old plume & parchment seems to be a hallmark of a true writer. I treasure it, really - even the hate part. It lends substance & texture to the whole endeavor somehow.

    ReplyDelete