Monday, November 8, 2010

new york state of mind

A few years ago, a dusty old sketch of a dream I'd had since age 14 crept up and popped a balloon behind my head and said breathily: IT IS TIME. Move to New York.

This cover honored the election of President Obama. I started reading the New Yorker at age 14, and will for the rest of my life.

I then experienced a painful bout of Dreamus Interruptus.

Love of Manhattan, New York & the Eastern Seaboard has been brewing in me forever, and my dream was to live there, preferably in a brownstone (not realizing they cost just north of eleventy zillion dollars), for a good solid chunk of my adult life. But I had such a sense of wanting to do it right, to not become one of those people New York reputedly 'eats alive' or otherwise defeats, that I hung back. I know what I'm like: Impetuous. Imprudent. Impulsive & undisciplined in a number of ways. All these terrible flaws. And they've become chronic in the wake of many seriously frustrating, obstacle-strewn attempts to fix them. So I've always said, 'Not yet. Go someplace else, try [there] or [there] in the meantime'.

But roughly three years ago, I said, right, enough of that bullshit. Go be where you want to be, now. Can't do it 'right' & 'smart'? Then do it wrong & stupid. But DO IT. You jump in and figure things out like everything else. You've attached some precious or sacred status to this particular dream - shake it off, lest it stay ensconced in your imagination for eternity. GO.

I was still in L.A. at this time, being a tour guide. I managed to save $2875 toward this dream, a month away from $3000, when the trembling economy took its nosedive. Tourist action slowed to a trickle and their tips were slim to none. I had to start using that savings. It didn't take long for it to *poof* to nothing. Heartbroken & sullen, I hung my failed head and went home to Seattle to lick my wounds. It's now been 18 months and change since I stepped off that airplane, and I've struggled hard just to get back on my feet. In fact, I'm still wobbling. But last week, in the fourth or fifth day of a numb, dense emotional fog, a flare shot up: New York. Remember?

I took the sketch of this dream off the shelf and started filling it out a second time. I got excited. I felt relieved with a sense of something meaningful to look forward to. A sense of greater purpose re-infused my moments, no more simply struggling for a slow gain of inches here at home. I caught new fresh breath. So now I'm brainstorming plans. I'm writing stuff down. I'm looking at the New York Craigslist and hunting hungrily (rather than trudging half-assed) for more hours right here right now at home so I can save money again. I'm deciding on departure dates, wanting it not to be too far off, yet giving myself enough time to stuff my pockets fairly well. I have no clue what I'm doing. Whatever, no matter. The wheels are in motion and my new war cry is:


I <3 NY



LET'S DO THIS THING.


Thanks as always for reading :D

4 comments:

  1. You are not alone in the stagnant world of wanting to "do it right" & finding after so much time we're not doing anything but waiting. Excellent war cry, btw. Do that fuckin' thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when we first chatted and you talked about your NYC plans and ambitions. I am still behind you 100% on you reaching your goal to make it to the big city and making it fuckin' happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in AZ for 5 years but I knew where my home was. I would see the skyline and long for home. The first time back after two years away, I cheered as loud as I could when I saw the skyline. That's when I knew where I needed to be. Sounds like you know where you need to be. Follow your dream. It'll be your greatest victory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mzpete - Thanks a million, it's so gratifying to be understood on that level. I've never been one to hang back, but I have with this dream. No more!

    @marty - You were there through my first wobbly stab at this whole thing! It makes me happy that you've stuck by and are still here. Thanks as always for your incredible supportiveness.

    @guillermo - Feels good to be where you belong, doesn't it? I'm glad you're HOME. :-) (And there's nothing like a gorgeous skyline, is there?)

    ReplyDelete